Join us with your group or club for exciting adventures as we explore the Aldo Leopold Nature Center grounds through the seasons!
Nature Nuts After School Program
Nature Nuts is a comprehensive curriculum developed to guide students through a variety of hands-on outdoor experiences throughout the seasons. The curriculum has a three-year rotating theme so students experience a diversity of thematic elements over time. The goals of the Nature Nuts program are to:
- Develop in children an appreciation of nature
- Enhance children’s academic skills in reading, language arts, and mathematics
- Teach students to embrace a learning attitude outside of the classroom setting
- Help children gain a better understanding of the natural world and their place in it
- Improve children’s self-esteem and leadership skills
Program topics are designed to be seasonally appropriate and focus on phenology activities (seasonal observations of natural events recorded in a journal). Topics may include birding, adaptations, mapping, and orienteering in the fall; glaciers, Native Americans, mammals, and survival skills in winter; and maple syruping, pioneering, trees and wetlands in the spring. After school programs in the summer are also available and feature a variety of topics, including water cycles, wildflower identification, pioneering, and primitive skills. Can’t come to the Aldo Leopold Nature Center? Let us bring the Nature Nuts curriculum to your group! We will take advantage of whatever outdoor features are within walking distance of your site.
Planning your Trip:
- Cost: $45 per naturalist per hour
(+ mileage for off-site programs) ($.575/mi round trip)
- Student to Naturalist Ratio: 10 students per naturalist grades K-2, 12 students per naturalist grades 3 and up
- Transportation to and from the ALNC is the responsibility of the group
- Special Needs: Please let us know if there are any participants with special needs (physical, emotional, behavioral, etc.). This will aid us in planning for the entire group and make our programs educational and enjoyable for all!
- Scholarship funding may be available for groups with a limited budget
- Contact our School Program Coordinator to schedule your trip or for more information at (608) 221-0404 x 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.