ALNC offers afterschool programming for families as well as for site leaders working with existing afterschool programs.
Educators! Scroll down for on-site afterschool programs through Nature Nuts.
ALNC’s Afterschool Nature Club
Afterschool Nature Club is geared toward students in grades K-1 who are ready for out-of-school exploration! Offered on Tuesdays, this program fosters a sense of wonder and awe in the discovery of nature. Nurture your child’s curiosity of nature.
Tuition assistance is available. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about availability.
Registration for the winter and spring sessions opens November 15th.
Dates: January 11th through March 22nd, 2022 (11 weeks)
Time: 3:15 to 5:00 pm
Dates: April 5th through May 31st, 2022 (9 weeks)
Time: 3:15 to 5:00 pm
REGISTER HERE FOR SPRING AFTERSCHOOL NATURE CLUB
Already registered? Login to access your program registration
Please follow these instructions when registering.
After a year of modified activities due to COVID-19, we’re grateful for the ability to offer afterschool programs for children. Our programs include adaptations to help ensure the safety of everyone, including emphasizing handwashing, minimizing personal contact, minimizing time indoors and monitoring health of staff and students. As health and safety guidelines continue to evolve in regards to COVID-19, we work in conjunction with and in adherence with our local public health authorities.
Afterschool procedures include the following:
- Curbside drop-off and pick-up will take place in the bus parking lot. Curbside drop-off is 3:15-3:30 pm and pick-up is 5:00-5:15 pm. Parents are to stay in their vehicles at all times unless students need help with the transition. If you need to leave your vehicle to escort your student to their group, a mask is required for all adults that enter the group, so please have one available if needed. ALNC will email our Daily Health Screening that should be done prior to drop off. Our staff will conduct curbside check-in and check-out during these times only. If you must drop-off or pick-up outside these windows, please contact (608) 221-0404 x0.
- Groups will not co-mingle and assigned ALNC staff will only work with their individual group to reduce as many transitions/contacts as possible.
- Students will wash hands frequently throughout the day. Staff will carry hand sanitizer to use as appropriate.
- Please expect and prepare your child to be outside at all times as long as weather permits. We expect to use inside spaces only in the event of inclement weather and for bathroom breaks, filling water, etc.
- ALNC staff will provide spray-on sunscreen (minimum spf 30, organic and regular) and bug spray (both deet-free and 10% deet). We will not apply from individual bottles brought from home this year to reduce contact. Parents are encouraged to help their children apply sunscreen and bug spray before arriving to camp.
Students should bring:
- Refillable water bottle. Drinking fountains will not be used for sanitary reasons, but places to fill water bottles will be available.
- Mask with a baggie to keep in (extra masks are recommended). ALNC requires masks be worn inside and outside the building.
- Comfortable shoes that can get wet.
- Full change of clothes, including layers for all weather and a raincoat as needed.
- Baggie containing: markers and/or crayons and a pencil and/or pen. If you do not have a supply or access to these at home, ALNC can provide an individual baggie for your camper.
- Please discuss physical distancing with your child before they arrive. ALNC staff will share guidelines at the beginning of camp, but it will be helpful if children are already aware and mindful.
- Please label each item clearly with your child’s name.
Students should avoid bringing:
- Any small trinkets, toys, etc.
- Anything else easily lost or meant to be shared (pokemon cards, legos, etc).
COVID-19 Cancellation Policy (If ALNC cancels a program due to COVID-19)
- You will be contacted and asked for your refund preference.
- You may request a full refund, a credit towards future programs, or donate your program fees.
- If you do not respond with a preference by a specified date, ALNC will issue you a credit (good for future programming) less a 15% administrative fee.
Your registration is not complete until payment is received. Pre-registration and advanced payment is highly recommended as classes do fill up. For questions or to register by phone, call 608-221-0404 x 1.
Completed medical information is required for all Afterschool participants. Medical forms are included during program registration – you may fill them out as you go or log back in to complete. If skipped, you will receive an email reminder from us requesting that you submit information prior to your child’s first program. Please contact the School Program Coordinator (email@example.com) if you have any questions or problems.
Please notify us of any cancellations at least 7 days before the program. If you inform us:
- At least 1 month in advance, we will provide a refund (minus 15% administrative fee) or transfer you to an alternate session, if available.
- At least 2 weeks in advance, we will issue you a voucher (minus 15% administrative fee) or transfer you to an alternate session, if available.
- Any cancellations or non-attendance less than 2 weeks beforehand will result in a full charge of the class fee.
*Cancellation policy may change due to COVID-19.
Nature Nuts Afterschool Program
Developed for site leaders at existing afterschool programs, Nature Nuts is a comprehensive curriculum developed to guide students through a variety of hands-on outdoor experiences throughout the seasons. The curriculum has a three-year rotating theme so students experience a diversity of thematic elements over time. The goals of the Nature Nuts program are to:
- Develop in children an appreciation of nature
- Enhance children’s academic skills in reading, language arts, and mathematics
- Teach students to embrace a learning attitude outside of the classroom setting
- Help children gain a better understanding of the natural world and their place in it
- Improve children’s self-esteem and leadership skills
Program topics are designed to be seasonally appropriate and focus on phenology activities (seasonal observations of natural events recorded in a journal). Topics may include birding, adaptations, mapping, and orienteering in the fall; glaciers, Native Americans, mammals, and survival skills in winter; and maple syruping, pioneering, trees and wetlands in the spring. After school programs in the summer are also available and feature a variety of topics, including water cycles, wildflower identification, pioneering, and primitive skills. Can’t come to the Aldo Leopold Nature Center? Let us bring the Nature Nuts curriculum to your group! We will take advantage of whatever outdoor features are within walking distance of your site.
Planning your Trip:
- Cost: $45 per naturalist per hour
(+ mileage for off-site programs) ($.575/mi round trip)
- Student to Naturalist Ratio: 10 students per naturalist grades K-2, 12 students per naturalist grades 3 and up
- Transportation to and from the ALNC is the responsibility of the group
- Special Needs: Please let us know if there are any participants with special needs (physical, emotional, behavioral, etc.). This will aid us in planning for the entire group and make our programs educational and enjoyable for all!
- Scholarship funding may be available for groups with a limited budget
- Contact our School Program Coordinator to schedule your trip or for more information at (608) 221-0404 x 1 or firstname.lastname@example.org.